The poor medical facilities in tea estates of Assam have come into focus once again after a tea worker died due to lack of treatment after being bitten by a snake on Thursday.
She was immediately rushed to garden hospital, Nonaipara T.E. The hospital did not have the facilities to administer snake anti venom and referred Tangla PHC. More over the doctor examined the portion of the snake bitten area and untied the rope which was in the leg of the patient. On her way to hospital she died.
The tea workers, students’ organization ATTSA and AASA agitated in front of the factory gate for the inadequate facilities in the garden and compelled the management to compensate the family. The agitation became so furious that police personals, SSB and Army were deployed to control the whole situation. The garden Medical Officer, JayantaHazarika was made to stand and apologized for his negligence.
The Sentinel interacting with the Nonaipara tea workers found a list of various occupation hazards specifically for women workers were brought to light. Inhalation of dust, exhaustion due to heavy work-loads and working barefoot coupled with high environmental temperatures and humidity results in heat strokes and undue physical stress. The tea pluckers working with unsafe chemicals, unsafe work terrain results in problems like insect and snake bites, allergies. Occupational asthma, irritation of bronchi, pesticide hazards, accidents and falls due to steep slopes, pain in back due to carrying heavy loads etc are some of the occupational hazards that the tea management shows negligence.