Guwahati: In yet another ‘handiwork,’ ULFA explodes a powerful bomb in the busy Machkhowa areas on Saturday morning at around 7-30 which left four people dead and more than twenty injured.
The blast that rocks again in the time of the grand Ambubachi mela atop Kamakhya and Asian Athletic Grand Prix at Sarusajai, took place in front of a mosque. All those four were killed on the spot.
The bomb was placed beside a small tea stall at the daily fruit and vegetable market. Most of the vendors and visitors were not present in the morning when the bomb exploded.
The injured people have been admitted to the nearby hospital for treatment by the people who rushed to the spot hearing the huge sound the blast made. The conditions of four of these people are critical.
Immediately after the incident, police and top ranked police and civil officials including the Deputy Commissioner Abinash Joshi arrived in the spot and started investigation. Later talking to the reporters on the spot, Mr Joshi says the blast is a handiwork of ULFA.
Meanwhile, the city police beefs up security arrangement in view of the grand fair and festival at the Kahakhya temple and also to ensure security to the athletes across the Asian countries in view of the 16th Asian Grand Prix. The event is inaugurated on Saturday by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.
Panic spreads among those who gatecrash the Kamakhya temple premises to participate in the on going Ambubashi fair. These people have arrived in the fair spot from the last week.
PermalinkSubmitted by A. R. on Sat, 23/06/2007 - 15:07
The explosion took place at Machkhowa and that too in front of a mosque at 5.30 A.M. and not at 7.30 A.M. The time 5.30 A.M. of Muslim Fajar Salah( morning prayer )
Immediately after the incident, police and top ranked police and civil officials including the Deputy Commissioner Abinash Joshi arrived in the spot and started investigation. Later talking to the reporters on the spot, Mr Joshi says the blast is a handiwork of ULFA.
How can A. Joshi imediately blame ULFA without proper investigation.
This is second blast in Muslim area within weeks.
The last week was - The explosion took place at a predominantly Muslim area in village Gulutuk in Kamrup district, 50 km from Guwahati.
The Guluktuk blast - "The blast was carried out at the behest of the RSS and was executed by the organisation's youth wing with Abhijit Sarma as the kingpin," ULFA spokesman Raju Baruah said in a statement received by IANS. "Sarma is a member of RSS's youth wing," the statement said. How can a place which is 100% Muslim - a bomb blast ? This is the main question which the local people's should think.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said that Myanmar still remains the largest haven for north east militant outfits. Addressing a news conference in Guwahati on Sunday, he said that ULFA C-in-C Paresh Baruah was in a mood to increase his powers.
Union defence minister AK Antony has arrived in Guwahati on Sunday evening. Antony has no programme in Guwahati. After halting for the night, he would leave for Itanagar where he would attend the statehood celebration function on Monday.
The Centre is worried over the growing activities of the Maoists in Assam. This was what Union home minister P Chidambaram told Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday.
Talking to Gogoi at the Raj Bhawan in the morning, Chidambaram said that ULFA and Maoists have already procured support from ISI. The close door meeting lasted for one and a half year where the peace process with the various militant outfits figured.
After the meeting, talking to reporters Gogoi said, “I have also demanded more paramilitary forces for Assam. The law and order situation is improving, but we need more paramilitary forces as we cannot take a risk."
The Union home minister arrived in Guwahati...
Union home minister P Chidambaram has arrived in Guwahati on two-days visit to the north eastern region. The Union home minister is scheduled to hold a close door meet with Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday morning. State’s internal security is expected to dominate the discussion between the two. The on going peace process with ULFA, NDFB, DHD(J), DHD are likely to be discussed in the meeting. His meeting with Gogoi assumes significance two days after a NDFB(P) delegation formally demanded removal of P C Haldar as the peace interlocutor.
Immediately after it, Chidambaram is scheduled to leave for Shillong to review the state’s law and order with Meghalaya Chief Minister Dr...
The multi crore UniPay2 scam has reached the court when the victims moved a public interest litigation in the Gauhati High Court on Friday.
Admitting the PIL, the court has asked the Centre to file its affidavit to counter the allegations that a section of finance companies have been running without any permission from the Reserve Bank of India. The petitioners have sought the court’s intervention to help them get their money back. The court would resume hearing of the petition on March 28.
The Assam Assembly is all se to hold its budget session from March 1. Governor JB Patnaik would address the session on its opening day.
Speaker Pranab Gogoi would announce the Report of the Business Advisory committee settling the Business for the Budget Session of the Assembly, 2012. On March 2 the second day of the session would begin with Question hour to be followed by Debates on the Governor’s Address.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, who holds the finance portfolio would table the state budget on March 12. The House would debate the budget from March 13. A set of crucial bills would be tabled in this session which would be adjourned sine-die on March 30.
Three persons sustained injury when a radio exploded in the outskirt of Guwahati on Friday. The explosion took place at 8-30 in the evening at Sonapur when the radio exploded due to electric short circuit. The injured persons have been rushed to the Guwahati Medical College Hospital
The Kamrup Chief Judicial magistrate on Friday remanded Anuj Basumatary, Gurdev Singh, Rajendra Pratap Singh to police custody for fourteen days a day after they were arrested for kidnapping two truck drivers.
A section of angry people assaulted the trio inside the CJM court premises on Friday after they tried to attack some media people who poured in to the court to cover the news.
Police officials interrogating them are believed to have found their link with notorious car lifters in the state. Interrogation is going on.
Assam Chief secretary Nava Kumar Das has been admitted to the Guwahati Medical College Hospital on Friday when he complained of breathing difficulties in the afternoon.
Doctors attending on him said that he was suffering from heart ailment and have been undergoing treatment at the intensive care unit.
KMSS general secretary Akhil Gogoi has come down heavily on Pradyut Bordoloi alleging that the power minister was taking the side of NHPC.
Addressing a press conference in Lakhimpur on Friday, Gogoi said that the minister on one hand told the media that the government fears down stream impact but at the same time he holds discussion with National Hydro-electric Power Corporation (NHPC) officials and supports the project.
Comments
Pages
Add new comment