Skip to content Skip to navigation

JK Borgohain passes away

Veteran journalist, prolific writer and socio economic and political analyst Jatindra Kumar Borgohain passed away on Wednesday following a brief illness.

Borgohain died two died at the Hayat Hospital at around 2-50 in the afternoon two days after he was rushed to it following a serious ailment. Despite best “possible” treatment, he failed to recuperate. He was 72.

Borgohain, who hailed from Jakhalabandha area in Nagaon district started his career of service as an assistant professor of economics in JB College. In 1992, he came to Guwahati and joined as editor wioth a vernacular daily. Since then, he served several media houses. He further joined as  editor in chief with a city based news channel.  A pall of gloom descended as soon as the news of his demise spread like wild fire.

Chief minister Tarun Gogoi along with many other political and non political leadersand organizations expressed deep shock at his demise.

Comments

Monosh Hojai's picture

May His soul rest in eternal peace

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Will JP Rajkhowa quit after the Supreme Court’s blistering verdict on the constitutional crisis in Arunachal Pradesh. Rajkhowa, who is on sick leave, is believed to have been waiting for the floor test slated for July 16. Congress party in the north eastern state has demanded his resignation saying that his involvement in the local politics has been exposed.Noted journalist Sanjay Hazarika said that Rajkhowa has no option but to quit. In his Facebook, post the renowned journalist observed that following the Supreme courts blistering verdict on the powers of the governor in the Arunachal Pradesh case, there is a clear line that Raj Bhavans cannot cross. JP Rajkhowa rushed over that line in...
Rebel Congress leader Kalikho Pul refused to step down even a day after the Supreme Court reinstated Nabam Tuki as Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister. Talking to reporters in Guwahati on Thursday, he said “I am ready to prove my strength. Why should I resign. I am legally the Chief Minister.” Flanked by his loyal legislators at a hotel in Guwahati, Pul claimed to have the support of 30 MLAs in his camp. In yet another development, Nabam Tuki who resumed office as Chief Minister after the court ruling is holding a hectic parleys with his close associates and loyal legislators to form his council of ministers again. Top Congress leaders are also attending the meeting in Itanagar. Meanwhile,...
Hours after BJP topguns in Guwahati endorsed the move to auction 12 oilfields and to welcome the foreign Hindu refugees, AJYCP threatens to launch a massive agitation to force the government to undo it. Talking to Assam Times over telephone, AJYCP president Biraj Talukdar said, “Assam is not the property of a section BJP leaders. Nobody has given these politicians the right to do whatever they want.” Talukdar further reiterated that nobody can make Assam a safe abode of the immigrants. “How the refugees would be given the privileges of a citizen? We are dead opposed to it. We will resist the move and if situation warrants we are well prepared to launch a massive stir,” said the AJYCP...
Amid a hail of statewide protest, a set of resolution adopted in a huge brainstorming meeting of Assam BJP on Thursday is set to trigger an Assam-agitation like situation in the state. The state BJP stalwarts have endorsed the Centre’s move to auction 12 marginal oilfields calling it the need of the hour. Attended by BJP stalwarts including Himanta Biswa Sarma along with his party’s ministerial colleagues have agreed that the marginal oilfields, if auction, would fetch huge fund which could be utilized in development. The meeting further endorsed the Union Cabinet’s decision for a slew of facilities for the Hindu refugees from Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh. The BJP leaders, in principle,...
Amid incessant rains two landslide incidents in Guwahati claimed two lives in the city on Thursday. The first incident took place in Nijarapar near Noonmati area in the morning where a woman was buried by the debris. Identified as Nurjahan Begam, she died when the huge piece of rock accompanied by mud slipped on the house where she lived in. The second incident took place atop the South Sarania hills where a person lost his live. Identified as Manik Rabha he was buried alive by the mud which covered his house early in the morning. Both the incidents have struck no less panic in the entire city where over 3 lakh people stay in the hill top surrounding the city.
Hours after assuming charge as Arunachal Pradesh on Wednesday, Nabam Tukia and his camp have stepped up efforts to rope in the sitting Congress legislators to survive. Apart privately talking to the Congress MLAs over telephone from New Delhi, Tuki has issued a statement with an appeal to them to come back to his camp. Tuki has sent a joining letter to Arunachal Pradesh T Roy who is expected to talk to him regarding the upcoming floor test. Congress president Sonia Gandhi has asked Tuki to the party MLAs in confidence before proceeding to start the historic inning. Tuki’s aides have been personally approaching a number of legislators or former loyalists who are believed to have agreed to...
In a huge development in the country's political landscape, Nabam Tuki took charge again as Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister following Supreme Court's ruling on Wednesday making an end to the regime of Kelikho Pul.
BJP received a severe jolt when the Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered immediate restoration of the Nabam Tuki Government in Arunachal Pradesh a couple of months after he was dislodged by Kalikho Pul with the help of BJP. Now many political parties and individuals have asked Governor JP Rajkhowa to quit the job. Congress veteran and former Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi welcomed the SC ruling while state Congress interim president Ripun Bora demanded the immediate resignation of Governor JP Rajkhowa for his misleading role. In his facebook post Liberal Democratic Party leader Prodyut Bora said, “the Supreme Court has ended the machinations of the Modi government and Governor JP Rajkhowa...
Hours after the Supreme Court ordered the immediate restoration of the Nabam Tuki Government in Arunachal Pradesh, Kalikho Pul claimed to have enough strength of numbers to retain in the hot seat. Talking to reporters in Guwahati in the sidelines of the NE Democratic launching ceremony, the BJP-backed Chief Minister, “I still have the number. Let us go by number and not by the judiciary.” Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and Nagaland Chief Minister Zeliang were also present in the convention.
Hours after the Supreme Court judgment Nabam Tuki is leaving for Itanagar on Wednesday for hunkering down with party legislators to end the six month long constitutional impasse.Sources told Assam Times in New Delhi that Tuki is holding a crucial meeting with his loyal legislators to end the controversy before proceeding to assume the charge again in a day or two. A few central Congress leaders is also accompanying Tuki who called the verdict a historic.Talking to Assam Times along with other media groups, Tuki said” "I have got the final justice from the Supreme Court which has today this country and its Constitution. It would promote a healthy democracy."  Much to his delight, the...