Skip to content Skip to navigation

JK Borgohain passes away

Veteran journalist, prolific writer and socio economic and political analyst Jatindra Kumar Borgohain passed away on Wednesday following a brief illness.

Borgohain died two died at the Hayat Hospital at around 2-50 in the afternoon two days after he was rushed to it following a serious ailment. Despite best “possible” treatment, he failed to recuperate. He was 72.

Borgohain, who hailed from Jakhalabandha area in Nagaon district started his career of service as an assistant professor of economics in JB College. In 1992, he came to Guwahati and joined as editor wioth a vernacular daily. Since then, he served several media houses. He further joined as  editor in chief with a city based news channel.  A pall of gloom descended as soon as the news of his demise spread like wild fire.

Chief minister Tarun Gogoi along with many other political and non political leadersand organizations expressed deep shock at his demise.

Comments

Monosh Hojai's picture

May His soul rest in eternal peace

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

A warlike situation seems to have been simmering in Geleky in Sivasagar district bordering Nagaland forcing the authorities to deploy security forces on Tuesday.The situation tended to take a volatile turn on Tuesday morning when a section of civil officials from Nagaland accompanied by police arrived in the Singibeel area and tried to set up polling booths.Local residents in large number come out to resist the move. But they failed to do it.When the information was passed to the authorities, the Sivasagar district administration officials rushed to the spot and halted the move.Additional SSB, IRB and CRPF companies have been deployed to man the area where the Nagaland government is trying...
Will the ruling Congress in Assam be able to put up wonderful performance in the Lok Sabha polls? What awaits Tarun Gogoi if Congress fails to fare well this time? These are the questions that strike the party in rank and file.Springing surprise, the chief minister himself reacted. Talking to reporters in Guwahati a day after the first phase of Lok Sabha polls, Gogoi said that he would not be able to retain the chief ministership if Congress candidates fail to win the polls.“That’s why, I am sparing no pain to ensure the victory of all my candidates these days,” said Gogoi in a lighter vein.Gogoi, however, said that he enjoys faith of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi and that nobody inside the...
Silchar is gearing up for Rahul Gandhi’s visit on Wednesday. During his three hours visit, the Congress vice president will hold a rally in the town.Senior party leaders told Assam Times that Gandhi is scheduled to land at the Silchar airport at 10-30 in the morning and would leave straightly for the Rajiv Gandhi Sports Complex where he would hold the rally at 11 in the morning to campaign for the Silchar Congress candidate Sushmita Dev.Chief minister Tarun Gogoi, APCC president Bhubneswar Kalita, minister Gautom Roy along with other senior party leaders are scheduled to attend the rally.   
“I am confident. We will get all the seats where the Lok Sabha polls held on Monday,” this was what chief minister Tarun Gogoi said a day after the first phase of Lok Sabha polls passed off peacefully in Dibrugarh, Jorhat, Koliabor, Lakhimpur and Tezpur.He said that he and his party were leaving no stone unturned to put up a wonderful show in the ongoing Lok Sabha polls.He said that the party’s vote share would go up this time because of the huge turn out in the first phase of polling. “I am confident. Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi have reposed faith on me. We will win. That’s all I can say today.”      
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday strongly criticized BJP’s poll manifesto saying that the north east gets raw deal in the papers released on Monday.He said that the party has not strong commitment on the main issues confronting on Assam and its neighbouring north eastern region.“We have done wonderful job. Is Modi trying to hijack the credit?,” Gogoi told reporters at a press conference in Guwahati on Monday.
Chief minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday questioned BJP’s delay in the release of the party’s poll manifesto on the date of the first phase of Lok Sabha polls on Monday.Addressing a press conference in Guwahati, Gogoi said that the opposition party was resorting to delaying tactic in the release of the poll manifesto.“The person who has failed to release even the poll manifesto in time how he would rule the country,” that’s what Gogoi told the reporters.He further said that prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi enjoys the veneration of a semi-God among the BJP leaders and workers.  
Mani Kumar Subba’s condition refuses to improve on Monday two days after he was admitted to the Medanta Medicity Hospital in Gurgaon.Doctors attending on the Tezpur independent candidate on Monday conducted a major surgery. But the three time Congress MP in Tezpur is still on ventilation support.Subba was admitted to GNRC in Dispur on Friday following complaint of stork and high blood pressure at his home in Lakhimpur.
Amid tight security arrangement, voting in the first phase of Lok Sabha election has come to an end in Lakhimpur on Monday. The voting which began at 7 in the morning ended at 5 in the afternoon. The turn out is believed to have crossed a huge 80 per cent.But some booths had to extended the voting hour till 5-30 due to some technical reasons. Around 14,24,008 voters peacefully exercised their franchise to decide on the fate of 13 candidates which is sealed in the EVMs.Long queues of voters were seen in front of the polling booths from early in the morning. Polling took place at 1,921 booths from 7 in the morning to 5 in the afternoon in all the booths simultaneously.Union minister Ranee...
Polling ended in Tezpur Lok Sabha constituency with a record turn out on Monday. All eyes are fixed on May 16 when the counting will take place.Amid massive security arrangement, voting began at 7 in the morning at 1,772 booths to decide on the fate of nine candidate.The authorities have deployed 2,310 presiding and first polling officers to ensure free and fair polls.AGP leader Joseph Toppo is seeking re-election. Congress candidate Bhupen Bora is facing a tough contest with BJP candidate Ram Prasad Sarma. Mani Kumar Subba, who is undergoing treatment of cardiac ailment is contesting as an independent candidate after the Congress denied ticket to the three times MP from Tezpur.
Voting has come to an end in Koliabor constituency as soon as the clock struck 5 in the afternoon. The turn out has crossed 75 per cent. The fate of 13 candidates are sealed in the electronic voting machines.  Heavily guarded by over 5000 security personnel, the voting began at 7 in the morning to end at 4 in the afternoon at 1772 booths.A section of polling booths ended voting only at 5 in the afternoon citing disruption in the morning. Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi’s son Gaurav Gogoi is locked in a keen contest with former MP and AGP candidate Dr Arun Sarma.The counting will take place on May 16 along with other places in the country.