An ancient proverb says- we are and always will be connected to nature.
With the ever increasing speed of urbanization, globalization and our new found addition of the screen, we need to be with nature more than ever to stay healthy and sane. We are so hassled and tired in our day to day activities that we are losing touch with our primary and most essential life’s source and missing out on the positive effects of nature. We come from nature and will go back to nature. Nature mothers us and provides us with all that is essential to be alive. Just as Osho says, “Your life is your breath”. Breath is the bridge between the body and the self and between the self and the universe. But how many of us remember to watch our breath?
When our connection with nature increases, our mood, vitality, belongingness and contentment increases. Some of the urban diseases which are found only in the city settings are fatigue, anxiety, stress and depression. Breathing that tree filtered air and experiencing the silence of nature can help relax and rejuvenate ourselves.
When we regularly connect with nature in some way or the other, we are much more energized, productive, creative and inspired in work and in life itself. However, most of us city dwellers don’t get to spend as much time with nature as we would like to, here are 10 novel ways to infuse nature into our daily lives and experience the benefits.
1. Taking short breaks to sit on the grass and connect with the earth.
3. Enjoying a cup of tea outdoors and savouring each sip with awareness.
4. Parking your car at a distance is a great idea so that you can enjoy your walk to your destination. While walking make sure to watch the trees, birds and clouds and remember to watch each of your step.
5. Make sure to exercise in a park instead of indoors
6. Buy some indoor plants and nurture them with love either at home or workplace or both. Very soon you will feel a great connection with them and they will help you rejuvenate and relax every time you look at them.
7. Try going out on adventure to a riverside or forest area and while you enjoy the peace and tranquility, don’t forget to collect pebbles and dry leaves and bring them back with you. Later you can use them to create art as a relaxation process.
8. Take a dip or immerse in water. Try dipping your feet when you are near a water body and feel the coolness of the water merging into you.
9. Try star gazing at night on a clear night sky. Connect yourself with a distant star and feel its closeness with you.
We all can experience the abundant power of nature to rejuvenate and it does not cost us money. They are all given by nature, all we need to do is to find little ways in our surrounding and reconnect.