The much awaited boxing carnival 4th Asian Women Boxing Championship got off to a colourful start at the Karmabir Nabin Chandra Bordoloi Indoor Stadium in the Sarusajai Sports Complex here yesterday evening in Guwahati. Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi inaugurated the boxing extravaganza. Beijing08' Olympic bronze medal winning famed boxer Vijender Kumar along with his teamates Jitender Kumar and Akhil Kumar were the star attractions of the inaugural function.Though 12 counntries had confirmed participation but altogether 11 countries are taking part in the meet leaving Indonesia who did not turnup. The participating country teams - China, DPR Korea, Kazakstan, Korea, Macao, Mongolia, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Chinese Taipei, Vietnam and host India - took part in the march past programme in the function while thrice world champion MC Mary Kom took oath on behalf of all the participants. India made a bad start as local girl Pranamika Borah lost to her Chinese opponent Dong Cheng 1-4 at the KNCB Indoor Stadium in the Sarusajai Sports Complex .. The bronze medallist in the Turkey world invitational meet in 2005, Pranamika even went pointless in the first and third round.Earlier in the opening bout of the championship Mala Rai of Nepal was beaten by Pin Meng Chien of Chinese Taipei 1-5 in the 46kg category. The boxing meet ends on 28th Sept. 2008. World class infrastructure of the sporting venues after the 33rd National Games has helped Assam to host international events in the city.
PermalinkSubmitted by Anish on Thu, 25/09/2008 - 09:38
Come on India, you can win it!!! Hopefully the national media takes interest in this event so that non-cricket sports are promoted in our country.
Best of luck girls!!!
Assam governor J B Patnaik on Tuesday said that the ongoing orgy of violence is not a fit case to impose president’s rule in the state. Addressing a press conference In New Delhi, Patnaik appealed to the people of all sections to exercise restraint and to help the government restore normalcy in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri district where at least 33 people lost their lives.
Hundreds of people representing various minority organizations staged dharna in front of the Assam Bhawan in New Delhi, on Tuesday demanding steps to ensure safety of the minority people in Kokrajhar and Chirang districts. Shouting anti-government slogans, the protestors demanded deployment of more security forces to combat violence that spread to rural areas and neighbouring districts. Protesters said that the clash confines to only the Bodoland area. They alleged that the incident has been taking place for the couple of days even as no action has been taken.
Three members of the Broadcast Editors' Association on Tuesday called on Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi in Guwahati and discussed the role of a section of media in the gory GS Road molestation case. Consisting of renowned journalists NK Singh Dibang and Ashutosh, the three member delegation discussed media role in building public opinion, competition among media houses and portrayal of regional news in national media. Later, Gogoi told the reporters that the discussion was positive.
Ethnic frenzy in three lower Assam districts has gone from bad to worse. The death toll has mounted to 32 on Tuesday. Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has written to Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and Defence Minister AK Antony asking for more paramilitary forces and troops to rein in the situation.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi called up the chief minister to get an update of the situation.
According to information, around 40,000 people have fled their homes looking for safer areas. In Kokrajhar alone 19 people were killed killed in Kokrajhar and 12 others were killed in Chirang and adjoining areas.Incidents of violence are taking place mainly in the...
In a fresh development, a senior police officer in the troubled torn Chirang district has put in his papers caught in an awkward situation after the orgy of violence erupted in the district. Bijni Sub-Divisional Police Officer Narayan Das on Tuesday resigned from office saying that he was unable to control riots. Violence spread to the district on Sunday two days after it erupted in Kokrajhar.
Meanwhile, shoot-at-sight orders and an indefinite curfew have been clamped in the district. A night curfew has been clamped from 6 evening to 6 morning. Miscreants set on fire hundreds of houses after the villagers fled to safer areas.
TV journalist Gauravjyoti Neog was remanded to judicial custody after he was produced before the chief judicial magistrate in Guwahati on Tuesday. Neog, who filmed the GS Road molestation incident with the help of Amarjyoti Kalita was on Saturday was remanded to 3 days police custody which ended on Monday. He was arrested on Friday evening on the basis of some glaring evidence procured from several sources. Notably, other 14 people accused in the case have already been sent to jail a couple of days.
Train services to and from Assam remain severely disrupted on Tuesday following the ethnic clash in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts where death toll has gone up to 26.
Over 30,000 passengers have been remaining stranded at different places following violence where over 300 houses were reduced to ashes in over 30 villages.
According to NF Railway, 11 down trains from Guwahati, Dibrugarh and Kamakhya railway stations have been cancelled. Altogether 21 trains, including the Rajdhani Express, have been halted at different places along the route leaving more than 20,000 passengers stranded.
Several passengers have been injured when miscreants pelted stones at the Guwahati-bound...
Railway Minister Mukul Roy on Tuesday sought deployment of adequate forces in Assam to ensure safety of passengers in the trouble torn Kokrajhar and Chirang districts.
In a letter to Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, Roy said that the violence-hit areas in lower Assam need assistance to ensure safety for the railway passengers.
Security forces Tuesday shot dead four miscreants in Kokrajhar. With this the death toll in group clash in two districts has gone up to 25. Kokrajhar and Chirang district administrations are yet to lift the curfew clamped on Sunday. Additional security forces have arrived in both the troubled torn districts. Police opened blank fire on Tuesday to contain unrest. Curfew is in force in Gouripur, Golakganj, Bilasipara and Chapar areas. More than 40,000 people have abandoned their homes and taken shelter in relief camps set up by the district administration. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Nilamoni Sen Deka and Revenue Minister Prithibi Majhi have been camping in the districts. Director General...
Assam police on Tuesday got transit remand of Amar Jyoti Kalita a day after the main accused in the Guwahati molestation case was arrested in Varansi. Kalita was remanded to five days police custody when he was produced before a local court in Varansi on Tuesday in presence of a team of Assam police. Kalita would be brought back to Guwahati on Wednesday to be grilled in this connection. He and Gaurav Jyoti Neog, a reporter from a news channel filmed the molestation.
Comments
Pages
Add new comment