GUWAHATI: Eight people sustained serious injury when a devastating fire broke out a semi commercial area in the outskirt of Guwahati on Monday.
The incident took place in the wee hours at Bihapara in Goroimari when a house caught fire because of electric short circuit.
Local residents in large number came and brought the situation under control in the absence of firefighters.
The injured were initially rushed to the nearby hospital to be shifted to Guwahati for better treatment.
The extent of damage has yet to be ascertained. But it is said to be over Rs 50 lakh. Police enquiry is going on.