The Asam Agitation which started in 1979 and ended with The Assam Accord in 1985, is a major timeline of history of Assam.
The Assam Accord, which sought to end a six-year-long agitation against illegal immigrants in Assam, was signed between members of the All Assam Students Union (AASU), and state and central governments just a few hours before Rajiv Gandhi was to deliver the Independence Day address in 1985. Immediately afterwards, the student leaders were catapulted from their hostel rooms into the corridors of power. Their party, the Asom Gana Parishad (AGP), was voted to power the same year, with Prafulla Kumar Mahanta becoming the youngest ever chief minister of an Indian state.
.
Key clauses of the Assam Accord remained unimplemented during Mahanta's often controversial tenures (1985-1990, 1996-2001), and through three terms of Congress rule, which ended with the BJP's victory in the state in 2016. Central to the Accord was deportation of those who could not prove their roots in India prior to 24 March 1971. In 2015, the process of updating the National Register of Citizens (NRC) based on the 1971 cut-off of the Accord began. The first list was released in December 2017, and did not include 14 million names.
Assam: The Accord, The Discord authored by journalist Sangeeta Barooah Pisharoty looks at the making of the Assam Accord and its long shadow on the state, through political gamesmanship between principle players, periods of ULFA and Bodo militancies, and right-wing propaganda that has split the state along communal lines.
Normal life remains paralyzed in Karbi Anglong district following the 1000-hour bandh after it came into force on Monday morning. Vehicles are off from the roads, shops and markets are refusing to open under the impact of the bandh called by the Joint Action Committee for Autonomous State.Hours before the bandh call, the district authorities told Assam Times that they would ensure free movement of all vehicles. They said that the Nagaland and Manipur-bound vehicles would be provided armed escorts on the national highway No 29.National Highway 29 from Numaligarh is the only lifeline for Nagaland and Manipur. Apart from Karbi Anglong and Dima Hasao, the bandh is likely to cripple normal life...
Over 20 hours have passed since Kaushik Bora went misisng. But there is no trace of the Digboi Refinery executive director who is beleived to have been kidnapped on Sunday. The top IOC officer’s mobile phone still is found switched off. He went missing hours after he went out from his official residence towards Pangeri at 10-30 in the morning.His family members lodged the complaint in the afternoon before police recovered his abandoned car near Pengeri on the Digboi-Pengeri-Bordumsa Road. Search operation is going on in the entire area. But outfit has so far owned up the responsibility.The entire area bordering Arunachal Pradesh is infested by ULFA militants. Details are awaited.
Nagaland expressed grave concern over the 1000-hour Karbi Anglong bandh beginning from Monday apprehending that it would disrupt the normal life in the neighbouring state. A worried Nagaland chief minister TR Zeliang said that with immediate intervention of the Centre is required, else the bandh would paralyzed normal life in Nagaland.In a letter on Sunday to union home minister Rajnath Singh, Zeliang said that the bandh would not only cut off road communication but also affect supply of essential items including foodgrains, medicine, petroleum products etc to Nagaland as well as Manipur. He further urged his Assam counterpart Tarun Gogoi and Union minister of state for home to intervene to...
The United Liberation Front of Asom has asked the state’s movie halls to screen at least one Assamese film in a week to revive the ailing sector seven years after it banned Hindi cinemas.In a statement to the media on Sunday, ULFA chairman Abhijit Asom asked the hall owners to help the people enjoy at least for one week in each of the halls. ULFA’s reaction came a week after Shringkhol failed to pull huge crowd.
Tension still is simmering in Kakopothar with hundreds of villagers looking for three women whom they beat up alleging witchery three days back. Defying policemen on the National Highway 52, local residents in large number are coming out seeking the women in their custody holding them responsible for the death of the teen ager.Senior district administration officials are also trying to pacify the people saying that the boy died of liver infection because of delayed treatment. But the agitators have refused to read the Tinsukia district administration. Apprehending mob violence, security forces are patrolling in the entire area trying to keep the people off from the road.As soon the news of...
The toll in tragic road mishap near Nagaon mounts to 9 with two more people succumbed to injuries on Sunday morning. Twenty five others have been battling for life at the Nagaon Civil Hospital. Five of them were men includng the driver while others were women.The mishap took when the ASTC bus from Lakhimpur was on its way to Guwahati in the wee hours. As the passnger bus carrying 35 people arrived in Koliabor, suddenly the driver lost his control over the bus which hit a culvert -- a pipe-like structure that allows water to flow under a road or railway line.Police and local residents came to the spot and rescued the passenger bus. Seven found died on the spot. While two...
Yet another rape case hangs the state’s head in shame. The victim is a 16-year-old girl who was rape twice in Sonitpur district. That too by the son of a local Congress leader where she has been working as a maid.The victim moved Bebejia police outpost on Saturday complaining that she was raped on Friday and Thursday by the 30 year Bhaskar Nath of Besseria.In her FIR, she alleged that she was sexually harassed and raped by Nath. The accused is absconding and he has several criminal cases pending before Tezpur police station.
An eerie silence prevails in Sonitpur a day after suspected NDFB-S militants exploded a powerful grenade leaving five persons injured on Friday night.Army and para military forces are patrolling on the streets in Itakhola where the incident took place along the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border. The entire area is being cordoned off for the on going combing operation to nab the militants.The explosion took place in the evening where the militants who came in a white car hurled the grenade at a busy area of the town just a stone’s throw away from the police station. Four persons sustained injured.They include Diplonga tea garden assistant manager Bijay Singh. Three others are Hamed Ali, Baharul...
The Northeast United FC has secured the second position in the Indian Super League after they beat Mumbai FC 2-0 goals at Navi Mumbai on Friday.Kondwani Mtonga struck the first goal to take the lead while Felipe de Castro ensured the 2-0 goals with the crucial goal.Now they have seven points from four games, giving them second place on the points table. The Guwahati-based team trail Atletico de Kolkata by three points.Latest standings and points:TeamPlayedWonDrawLossGFGAGDPointsAtletico de Kolkata431082610NorthEast United FC42114317Chennaiyin FC22004226Mumbai City FC31025503Delhi Dynamos FC20201102FC Goa301235-21FC Pune City201105-50Kerala Blasters FC200213-20 Durga Boro of...
A local court in Guwahati remanded 6 persons to jail on Friday after the end of police custody in the gory Burdwan explosion. Police sought them in their remand for two days. But the court sent the to the jail. They will be required to be produced before the court again on November 5. The Chief Judicial Magistrate rejected their bail petition when produced them before the court 15 days after they were arrested in this onnection. Identified as Shaikhul Islam alias Abdullah (20), Rafikul Islam (39), Md Shiraj Ali Khan (53), Jahuruddin (60), Golam Usmani (23) and Sarbesh Ali (35), they hailed from three different villages in Barpeta district.
Add new comment