Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Gogoi’s gift for unemployed youths

GUWAHATI: Good news for Assam’s unemployed youths. Courtesy Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.

The Chief Minister on Tuesday launched the state’s first ever scheme to generate more jobs for the youths acting on a set of suggestions by noted economist Dr Jayanta Madhab.

In his address, Mr Gogoi says the scheme will be a giant leap to generate more employment opportunities for both rural and urban educated youths.

He says despite the rising employment avenues some problems are still there and the Government is trying its level best to address these. But in the same breath, he says, the people of the state also need to change the way it looks at things.

Addressing the function, Dr Madhab says the scheme will be more fructifying than those so far released by the Centre.

“We will have to look at both mini and micro-level employment generations as we do have opportunities for development of entrepreneurship, skill and infrastructure,” says Dr Madhab.

Dr Madhab plans employment opportunities for about 1,67,000 people with a total cost of Rs 669 crore and the Employment Generation Mission will bear the cost up to the tune of Rs 320 crore.

Headed by the Chief Minister, the Employment Generation Mission is manned by experts from various fields as well as representatives from Dispur, the Centre, banking and non-banking financial institutions.

Initially the mission has six projects as per the proposals submitted by SIRD, APPCO, RGVN, Prochesta, AMTRON and ASOMI adding that these projects, will provide employment opportunities for about 9,000 people under the concept of joint groups in different activities.

There will be a component of 25 per cent margin money with the remaining 75 per cent being banks/financial institutions/beneficiary contribution in all the projects.
Author info

pbaruah's picture

Add new comment

Republish

Republish this content

Random Stories

15 policemen suspended in Cachar

12 Apr 2014 - 6:37am | AT News
The authorities have suspended 15 constables in Cachar district for not attending duty at the poll material distribution centre in Silchar on Friday.The constables are Hussain Ali, Pravin Bora,...

World Environment Day observed in Kokrajhar

6 Jun 2017 - 12:56am | AT Kokrajhar Bureau
Jadu Uraw, a physically challenged youth,who studies in class ten at Dholmara High School,comes with a sapling for planting on the occasion of  ‘World Environment Day’ celebration on Monday in...

,

Ravaging storm revisits

20 May 2019 - 10:00am | AT News
Guwahati: Over 100 people sustained injury and properties worth thousands of crores have been damaged as a ravaging storm lashed 3 Upper Assam districts on Sunday. The storm ravaged thousands of...