Skip to content Skip to navigation

HC allows Dr Dhaniram to carry forward research

The Gauhati High Court has allowed prominent cardiac surgeon Dr Dhaniram Baruah to proceed with his research works which was barred by the state health minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma.

According to information, hearing a writ petition on Wednesday a bench of the court said the health department's order imposing restrictions on Dr Baruah was one sided.

It may be noted that addressing a recent press conference in the city, the minister threatened to arrest Dr Baruah if he fails to stop his research in the form of administering vaccine to to the human body. But Dr Baruah opined that he had already received permission in 2005 by the same department.

Comments

rcdohare's picture

hello, such minister who try to impose sanctions against such experiment are criminal of scientific progress mankind welfare.
A concerned human being's picture

It is not certain if Dhaniram Baruah has any knowledge of cancer research and treatment. I happened to meet and interact with the families of certain cancer patients who had sought treatment from him in a desperate endeavour to save their loved ones but it proved to be further detrimental to the lives of the patients. Today those families have nothing but regret, they say. They state that there is no clarity as to what 'medicine' Dr Baruah administers. His institute is in the middle of a forest and travel to the city Guwahati) is very difficult. There are no trained nurses and the local village boys/girls inject the patients intravenously!!! At the start when talks are on regarding admitting patients, the Dr and his assistant are extremely polite, appear very concerned, keep calling and enquiring about the health of the patient. However, once you are at the clinic, have done the payment and have admitted the patient, the behavior gradually changes. In fact when the patients complain of certain new symptoms, the Dr clearly states ' we don’t treat those'. Well if you don’t or cannot, for whatever reason, why do you ask for the patients to be brought to you in the 1st place. The charges are very high and the quality of the treatment and related facilities are substandard. There are 400 stray dogs in the ram shackled campus. These dogs, as the doctor claims, are extremely significant for his research efforts. Sources say that he appears confused and unsure about symptoms that develop in terminal patients. Subsequently he becomes thoroughly insensitive to the needs of such patients. None of the patients/ relatives can go to him claiming any compensation or file any compliant against him, as he ensures that documents are signed at the start as well as the time of leaving the institute disclaiming him from any responsibility . No doubt, patients come to him for treatment- and a lot of cancer patients too- but this appears to be more out of a mixture of hope and despair( as in the case of the families that have spoken to me) There is no properly and thoroughly documented case regarding a successful treatment procedure. No patient reports have ever been shared with families. Dr Dhaniram Baruah may have been a very good heart surgeon and his contribution to the field of cardiac surgery may be immense, however, that is where it ends. As far as cancer is concerned there is no clarity or transparency about his treatment process. Unless he is able to clearly display the properties of the medication he uses and prove their effectiveness, he should not be encouraging patients to come to him for treatment.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Amid uncertainty over peace process between NDFB’s progressive faction and Centre, the pro talk faction of the Bodo insurgent outfit on Friday formally has demanded replacement of interlocutor PC Haldar. Talking to reporters in Delhi after meeting Union home minister P Chidambaram, NDFB-P general secretary Govinda Basumatary said that they have urged Chidambaram to replace the former IB director by a political leader. They, further, have suggested names of Ranjeet Sekhar Mushahary, PA Sangma, SC Jamir to replace Haldar. They alleged that the peace process has not been progressing only because of Haldar.
Good news for Assam. Delhiites would be able to shop some of the best traditional handicrafts from Assam. These would be available at a 'mela' to be organised by SSB in the national capital on Sunday. Wives of Sashastra Seema Bal, would bring traditional Assamese handicrafts, food items and dresses to the three-day 'mela' at the CRPF ground in front of CGO complex. The SSB has organised the 'mela' under the aegis of its wives welfare asscoiation and the proceeds of the sale would go for the welfare of the troops.
A northeast based documentary on climate change - DONT CUT MY HEAD OFF! will have its first screening in India on February 17, 2012, at 8 pm at Max Mueller Bhavan in New Delhi. The video moves between Copenhagen and Chizami, a small village in Nagaland. Seno Tsuhah went to UN climate meet in Copenhagen in December 2009 hoping to influence the global negotiators. But they don't have time for 'romantic' Naga wisdom. The video explores two seemingly unconnected worlds of statecraft and realpolitik in Copenhagen climate meet and an agriculturalist and highly nature-dependent rural Naga society. A video about global governance, power games and theater of transparency as performed by global...
Assam Governor Janaki Ballav Patnaik on Thursday urged the Centre to help the north eastern region become a hub of organic cultivation because of its organic soil. Speaking at a workshop on ‘Policy initiatives for promoting partnership between stakeholders in agriculture with particular reference to rain-fed and dryland farming’ organised by the Rashtrapati Bhavan in Delhi he said that the sector is not cost-effective due to high value of certification works at the initial stage and needs the Centre’s help and assistance to set up an export market in the region.
In a major achievement, Guwahati police have arrested three youths a day after they allegedly kidnapped a trucker in the city. According to information, the trio have been arrested during an operation by the Basistha police in the Bhetapara area in search of a truck driver Ravindra Pratap Singh who was kidnapped on Wednesday. Police managed to capture the trio along with Ravindra after a clash at around 9 in the evening. Singh hails from Bihar. The arrested youths have been identified as Anuj Basumatary, Rajendra Pratap Singh, Gurdev Singh and Tapal Singh. Anuj Basumatary is the son of former APSC chairperson Geeta Basumatary. Police interrogation is in progress.
Once again Assam buys a bad name. Over 15 workers of a tea garden died because abject poverty within a short period of four months. These have taken place at the Bhuban Valley Tea Estate a few months after the tea garden faced closure due to labour unrest. The authorities have allegedly stayed away from providing medical treatment to the workers since October 2011. The ten garden workers were lost their lives for lack of food and medical treatment. The Barak Human Rights Protection Committee (BHRPC), a human rights group based in Assam, which carried out a detailed study on the pathetic condition of workers by sending a fact-finding team, found that there are dozens of workers...
Guwahati is gearing up to host the biggest ever Management Convention of Northeast. Courtesy Guwahati Management Association at the Royal Group of Institution campus at Betkuchi on Saturday. The region has seen immense growth and development, which now enables management practitioners to give a new dimension and scientific outlook to manage the region in a more effective way. GMA is organising the convention on the theme ‘Managing Northeast – a challenging opportunity.
The anti dam protest is set to be more intensified when NHPC on Wednesday claimed to have received support from government to go ahead in Gerukamukh project. Talking to reporters in Dispur on Thursday, NHPC managing director ABL Srivastava said that they would not halt construction of the big dam and that they would not directly sit in talks with the protestors. Later, power minister Pradyut Bordoloi who heads the group of ministers on the dam deadlock said that the construction would continue and that NHPC has assured the government of steps to counter the possible downstream impact of the Lower Subansiri project. Before that the NHPC officials held talks with the ministerial panel...
The National Green Tribunal has asked the government not to set up any industry near the famed Kaziranga National Park. In its recent letter, the tribunal, asked the Ministry of Environment and Forest and the Assam government regulate quarrying and mining activities in and around the the Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve and Karbi-Anglong Elephant Reserve in Assam. The tribunal also made it clear that if no reply is filed by February 29, The orders came on a petition filed by Assam-based RTI activist Rohit Chaudhary, seeking directions to restrain the quarrying and stone crushing units around Kaziranga National Park, which harbours the largest population of Indian one-horned...
Come Sunday. The Indigenous People Welfare Organization is gearing up for the Carnival of North-East India 2012 in Delhi from Sunday. Addressing a press conference in Delhi on Thursday, organizers said that DoNER minister Pawan Singh Ghatowar will open the ten day long festival with 60 stalls from the eight north eastern states. The Indigenous People Welfare Organization is organizing the event in active collaboration with Delhi Tourism and supported by a host of other entities and authorities including the DoNER ministry, Ministry of Home Affairs, Manipur Development Society, Sangai Caterers and the North East Sun.