Skip to content Skip to navigation

Blast in the Time of Festival: 5 dead, 20 injured

Guwahati: In yet another ‘handiwork,’ ULFA explodes a powerful bomb in the busy Machkhowa areas on Saturday morning at around 7-30 which left four people dead and more than twenty injured.

The blast that rocks again in the time of the grand Ambubachi mela atop Kamakhya and Asian Athletic Grand Prix at Sarusajai, took place in front of a mosque. All those four were killed on the spot.

The bomb was placed beside a small tea stall at the daily fruit and vegetable market. Most of the vendors and visitors were not present in the morning when the bomb exploded.

The injured people have been admitted to the nearby hospital for treatment by the people who rushed to the spot hearing the huge sound the blast made. The conditions of four of these people are critical.

Immediately after the incident, police and top ranked police and civil officials including the Deputy Commissioner Abinash Joshi arrived in the spot and started investigation. Later talking to the reporters on the spot, Mr Joshi says the blast is a handiwork of ULFA.

Meanwhile, the city police beefs up security arrangement in view of the grand fair and festival at the Kahakhya temple and also to ensure security to the athletes across the Asian countries in view of the 16th Asian Grand Prix. The event is inaugurated on Saturday by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.

Panic spreads among those who gatecrash the Kamakhya temple premises to participate in the on going Ambubashi fair. These people have arrived in the fair spot from the last week.

Comments

A. R.'s picture

The explosion took place at Machkhowa and that too in front of a mosque at 5.30 A.M. and not at 7.30 A.M. The time 5.30 A.M. of Muslim Fajar Salah( morning prayer ) Immediately after the incident, police and top ranked police and civil officials including the Deputy Commissioner Abinash Joshi arrived in the spot and started investigation. Later talking to the reporters on the spot, Mr Joshi says the blast is a handiwork of ULFA. How can A. Joshi imediately blame ULFA without proper investigation. This is second blast in Muslim area within weeks. The last week was - The explosion took place at a predominantly Muslim area in village Gulutuk in Kamrup district, 50 km from Guwahati. The Guluktuk blast - "The blast was carried out at the behest of the RSS and was executed by the organisation's youth wing with Abhijit Sarma as the kingpin," ULFA spokesman Raju Baruah said in a statement received by IANS. "Sarma is a member of RSS's youth wing," the statement said. How can a place which is 100% Muslim - a bomb blast ? This is the main question which the local people's should think.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

"Community radio is the real voice of the people, it is a communication service that caters to the interests and needs of a certain area, its culture, craft, cuisine and above all social and development issues," said Mridul Srivastava, the station director of 'Lalit Lokvani'.'Lalit Lokvani', is a village community radio planned to be operational in Lalitpur region of Uttar Pradesh state (India). It is a joint initiative of a Sai Jyoti Gramudyog Seva Sansthan (a non-governmental organization) and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), situated just 22 km from Lalitpur in Alapur village of Birdha block.The 15 km transmission range will take in its fold 60 villages comprising...
A hardcore ULFA cadre died during an encounter with police and army in lower Assam's Barpeta distirct on Friday midnight.According to information, the encounter took place Khagrabari where ULFA lieutenant Kushal Das died on the spot. Details awaited.
Normal life in Sivasagar district has been thrown out of gear as the entire upper Assam distirct slips into a total bandh from Saturday morning.The 12 hour total bandh is being called by All Tai Ahom Students Union in protest against the death of its Sivasagar district vice president in police custody.Barring the vehicles of security forces there are no vehicles are seen plying on the streets. All establishments are remaining closed from early in the morning. The bandh will end at 6 in the evening.Apprehending untoward incidents the distirct authorities have made an elaborate security arrangement during the bandh hours.
Two persons died and a few others have been injured when a powerful blast rocked the city again on Friday evening. According to information, the incident took place at Maligaon near the railway gate and it was planted at bicycle in between two cars. The deceased have yet to be identified. Police have rushed to the spot.Police say it a handiwork of ULFA who have been unleashing a reign of terror in the city right from the new year's day. One of the deceased has been identified as Dhiren Kakoti.One of the five injured people has been rushed to the Guwahati Medical College Hospital while others have been admitted to the Maligaon Railway Hospital. The three injured have been identified as Rajiv...
The petrol crisis in the north eastern city of Guwahati is expected to die down by Friday evening.According to Kamrup district administration sources steps are on to rush petrol and disel to the city petrol depots that have gone dry from Friday morning as an impact of the three day indefinite strike by the oil PSU executives.
Assam also feels the heat of the statewide strike by the oil PSU officers as the petrol pumps across the state are running dry from early in the morning on Friday. Most of the petrol pumps are are remaining closed due to non availability of petrol. The scene is palpable in the north eastern city of Guwahati where vehicles are lining up in front of a few petrol pumps. But of no avail. Talking toAssam Times, the petrol pump owners said everything depends on the oil officers strike which is entering on its third day.The crisis began on Thursday in some places in upper and central Assam districts where the vehicles have stopped moving on the roads due to scarcity of petrol. On the other hand,...
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gagoi has asked the Centre to take immediate necessary measures for extradition of the banned outfit's general secretary Anup Chetia.Quoting Gogoi as saying agencies said the state government has asked the Central government to take urgent steps for the extradition of Anup Chetia.According to the Chief Minister said with a new friendly government, led by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, assuming power in Bangladesh, Dhaka would extradite all Indian fugitives taking shelter in the neighbouring country.After expiry of the jail term, Chetia sought political asylum in Bangladesh, which the government turned down. Later, his lawyer filed a writ petition, which is now...
There is report that ULFA cadre Pranjal Deka alias Biju Sarania, the brain behind the serial blasts in Guwahati on the new year’s day was killed. According to information, he was killed during an encounter with police and army at Halikuchi area in Rongiya on Thursday evening.Acting on specific inputs, Nalbari police led by SP Jitmol Doley with army launched a joint operation in the area where the encounter took place in the evening. The deceased ULFA cadre was identified as Pranjal Deka..the the main culprit who struck in the city with a string of blast on the new year’s day. His fellow cadres managed to escape.
Sarupathar police station has registered a case against its officer in charge Ruhindranath Changmai on Tuesday. According to an FIR moved by the Golaghat Chambers of Commerce, the police officer has been unleashing a reign of terror among the section of businessmen for thge last few months.
The Centre has extended its ceasefore with the National Democratic Front of Bodoland for another period of six years. Confirming this Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi iad in Delhi that the decision was finalised at a top level meeting taking in to account all the inputs it received from several quarters. The term for ceasefire with the Bodo militant outfit expired on December 31.