Skip to content Skip to navigation

JK Borgohain passes away

Veteran journalist, prolific writer and socio economic and political analyst Jatindra Kumar Borgohain passed away on Wednesday following a brief illness.

Borgohain died two died at the Hayat Hospital at around 2-50 in the afternoon two days after he was rushed to it following a serious ailment. Despite best “possible” treatment, he failed to recuperate. He was 72.

Borgohain, who hailed from Jakhalabandha area in Nagaon district started his career of service as an assistant professor of economics in JB College. In 1992, he came to Guwahati and joined as editor wioth a vernacular daily. Since then, he served several media houses. He further joined as  editor in chief with a city based news channel.  A pall of gloom descended as soon as the news of his demise spread like wild fire.

Chief minister Tarun Gogoi along with many other political and non political leadersand organizations expressed deep shock at his demise.

Comments

Monosh Hojai's picture

May His soul rest in eternal peace

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Senior minister Siddique has blamed it all on BPF for the ongoing murder and mayhem in BTAD.Ahmed who has arrived in Guwahati after his stock taking visit to the troubled torn districts told reporters that the entire chapter is political. Quoting the affected people as saying the minister said that they also called it a handiwork of BPF.Siddique further said that BPF leader Pramila Rani Brahma should be arrested apart from severing alliance with BPF.   
In a major setback for Assam’s health sector, the Medical Council of India has cancelled the recognition to two of the newly set up medical colleges.Reliable sources have told Assam Times that MCI took the drastic steps on April 16 on the basis of the fact finding reports its team deputed to the Jorhat Medical College and Barpeta Medical College in March.According to sources, the MCI team in its report mentioned poor infrascture in both the medical colleges apart from lack of professors and staff. This has left the fate over 300 students in utter uncertainty.
Yet another rhino was killed for horn in Kaziranga. The incident took place near the Demow-Aarimora camp in Agoratoli range of the national park.Forest guards on Friday recovered the hornless carcass in the evening hours after minister Rockybul Hussain held a public meeting seeking their help get rid of the poachers.With this, poachers have killed 17 rhinos in this year.    
The death toll in Chennai blast on Thursday has gone up to four. One more passenger in the ill fated Guwahati-bound train succumbed to injury on Friday.On the other hand, two of the four deceased hailed from Assam.Identified as Biren Das and his wife Sonia Das, the couple from Dhemaji district was on their way to Guwahati in the Bangaluru Express where the explosion took place at Coach No S-5 and S-4.
KMSS on Friday asked chief minister Tarun Gogoi to quit alleging his failure as home minister a day after 12 people lost their lives in militant attack in BTAD areas.Addressing a press conference in Guwahati, the peasant body president said that the government has prior inputs on the incidents of violence and that it remained idle.He further asked BTAD chief Hgrama Mohilary to quit for failing to ensure safety and security of the people.Gogoi said that only a thorough probe by CBI and NIA would be able to unearth the truth behind these orgy of murder and mayhem.Later KMSS took out a procession in protest against the BTAD incidents.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday blamed it all on NDFB-S militants for the fresh orgy of violence in BTAD areas where 12 people were killed and 15 others have been injured during the last 24 hours.Addressing a press conference in Guwahati after reviewing the law and order situation with top ranked civil and police officials, Gogoi said that the government would firmly deal with the militants involved in the attacks.He said that army and additional para military forces are arriving in the troubled torn areas to bring the situation under control.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi seems to have felt the heat of the ethnic frenzy that has claimed 12 lives in BTAD areas within the last 24 hours.ULFA’s anti talk faction has condemned the attack on the innocent people alleging the failure of the government to ensure safety and security of the people in BTAD areas. In a statement sent to Assam Times, the outfit said that the feeling of insecurity grips the peopleKrishak Mukti Sangram Samity blamed it all on the government for the escalating tension in BTAD areas. KMSS president Akhil Gogoi strongly criticized the chief minister and demanded his resignation.The Oppostion Asom Gana Parishad also has alleged failure of Tarun Gogoi who is holding...
The Centre is all prepared to help Dispur deal with the volatile law and order situation in BTAD where 12 people died and 10 others sustained injury.During telephonic conversation with Tarun Gogoi, Union home minister Sushilkumar Shinde assured the Chief Minister of all possible help to restore normalcy back to BTAD areas.Apart from 10 CRPF companies, the home minister further agreed to rush army to deal with the situation. 
LPG scarcity is likely to hit the north eastern region hard again. The LPG dealers association in the region is on a 48 hour strike from Friday in protest against the shifting of the tender process to Kolkata. During the next 48 hours, LPG would not be available for he customers. 
Chief minister Tarun Gogoi has written to the Election Commission alleging objectionable publicity by BJP after the end of poll campaing in the Lok Sabha polls in the state.In a letter, Gogoi alleged before the poll panel that the opposition party on April 23 in a huge display vernacular dailies made a number of leading publicity against his government. But it was published just a day before the third and final phase of the Lok Sabha polls in the state.